Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Jinx and Reverse Engineered Excuses

I haven't posted to this particular blog in a long time.  Not because I haven't been doing well. As a matter of fact, I'm doing great!  Lately, my resistance to blogging about my healthy living journey, stems from a superstitious belief that I like to call "The Jinx".

I don't need to explain The Jinx (Just because I put it in a proper noun format, doesn't make it any different than a normal one.  I do so here only to make it appear more dramatic), but I did want to clarify that this particular jinx is a self-afflicting one; I do it to myself.

Every single change in diet I've had for the past 30 years, has been met with a certain level of success right up until the point that someone says, "Wow! You look great! Have you lost weight?  Your skin is glowing! Keep up the good work! Yadda Yadda Yadda!".  Don't get me wrong, I truly appreciate the feedback BUT my ego??? Hunny!  Homegirl loses her mind!  She starts telling me it's OK to "cheat" and not exercise "just this once".  After a few days of this, the progress begins to wane and the word  "plateau" becomes part of my vernacular (along with a ton of four letter words) at the daily weigh in.

So I've convinced myself  that blogging only makes matters worse.  It jinxes me.  It makes the outside world more aware of my journey, thereby creating this positive energy of encouragement and well wishes from my family and friends (the only ones that read this blog anyway lol), which in turn feeds my ego that then convinces me that I don't need to stay on target, and the weight starts to creep back...again.
Does anyone need a diagram?

I am, of course, totally off base here. The way that I need to visualize things is this way...
  1. I blog about my weight loss journey.
  2. I am accountable for my actions.
  3. I stay focused.
  4. I stay positive.
  5. I continue to blog about my weight loss journey.
THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment