Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Recipe of the Month - Roasted Eggplant Stew

My first major home cooked dish, after my DIY oven repair project...incident...OK accident, was this delicious ratatouille-esque dish that still has my mouth watering. I was inspired by a recent trip to this fabu market nearby called Corrado's that had some of the most amazing produce I've ever seen (and I've seen a lot). For this recipe, I used an eggplant that I think was a Japanese variety and I was so taken by its beauty that I just grabbed it!

Here's a picture of the gorgeous aubergine..
I only bought one (just ran to the fridge to make sure) and I am terribly sad about that. It was absolutely lovely and not bitter at all



Ingredients:
1 Eggplant (I'm sure any variety will do) cut in half length-wise
1/4 white onion chopped
3-4 cloves garlic chopped
1/4 teas dried oregano
1/2 small green hot pepper seeds removed
5 plum tomatoes chopped
kosher or sea salt to taste

squeeze of lemon
Cooked brown rice - made with vegetable stock, onions, garlic, thyme and a few drops of toasted sesame oil.
Goat Cheese as garnish (vegans can leave this out of course)

What to do:
Pre-heat oven to 425
Salt cut side of eggplant and place in oiled glass dish, flesh side down
Place in oven and roast until tender. Remove from oven and roughly chop into large pieces.

When eggplant is almost finished roasting, saute onions, garlic, peppers, and oregano until soft. Add tomatoes and chopped eggplant (juices and all).
Simmer until tomatoes are just cooked at bit.
Add salt and squeeze of lemon to taste.

Serve over the cooked brown rice and top with a small spoon of goat cheese (or plain non-fat yogurt).

OMG! This is a scrumptious dish! Please make this somebody and tell me how it turns out.

2 comments:

  1. But wait, the ingredients list doesn't say whether its cups, teaspoons, tablespoons, etc. I'm sure if I knew anything at all about cooking, I'd know...but seeing as I don't...can you fill in the details at some point? Thanks it sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Emily...I am not one for measurements but I'm working on it...LOL

    ReplyDelete