Sunday, February 28, 2010

Day 59 - Can it Core a Apple??

I'm a fan of pop culture; specifically the television sitcom genre. Even more so, I love obscure lines from some of these shows.

One line in particular, from one of my favorites, always comes to mind when I am in the the process of coring apples. It comes from the Honeymooners. Ralph and Norton of course have another big idea; this time it entails promoting a kitchen gadget on live TV. It's a funny skit of course, but the line I'm referring to stands out because of the grammatical error: "Can it core a apple?" I have never figured out whether or not:


the writers meant to write it incorrectly this way
or
this is how people spoke back then

So I'm about to make some baked apples for dessert and all I can hear in my head is this line while I start to core a apple. Take a look at the clip (about 4:00 minutes in if you're not a big fan). It still makes me laugh.



Just in case you're wondering about how I make baked apples (by far the simplest thing in the world to make), here's the recipe...

Ingredients
Apples, cored of course - almost any variety. I used a few organic Fuji that were sitting around longer than I would have liked.
Ground Cinnamon
Organic Blue Agave Nectar Sweetener
Plain Greek Yogurt

Place cored apples (do not peel) in an oven safe dish and cover with foil.
Place in preheated 450 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until apples are soft and tender
Uncover apples and pour the agave nectar over apples lightly (it's a very sweet sweetener) and sprinkle with cinnamon.
DO NOT RE-COVER and place back in oven until apples have darken a bit. Feel free to baste with drippings once a while.
They're done when you think they look good.
Cool just a bit if you like.
Serve by spooning a dollop of yogurt on top of apples. Pour pan juices over yogurt and eat!
YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment